Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Midsummer's Day's Musing

We went to the park today.  Today was one of the rare days when it was actually hotter in the park than outside.  Normally the park is a haven from the heat-- it's shady, breezy, and isolated from the heat that collects on the city streets.  Normally, we lay out, spread a blanket on the grass, and stare up at the blue blue sky while the little one watches all the bigger kids play ball on the field.  Normally our view is something like this:




But today it was muggy, buggy and overall just an unpleasant place to be.  I dragged my poor family to the park, however, because it was the farmer's market today, and we made a new resolution (call it a midsummer's resolution) to buy three different vegetables every week so that we could incorporate more fresh produce into our diets.  Last week it was beets.  Big mistake.  Beets, I believe, are not one of those vegetables that must be purchased fresh to enjoy.  To make most recipes, you have to roast or boil them, and to be honest, it was so labor intensive I lost all appreciation for the vegetable.  Maybe I just don't have the beet gene. 

But I digress. 

Anyway, this new resolution of ours has been working out well.  We got fennel and kale (we still have beets left over from last week, so we only got two more this week).  I found a recipe for fennel and sardine pasta sauce that I'll try out later and let you know about.  Kale is always good, and we throw it in everywhere. 

So today was productive, but hot.  No laying out for us today.  But we'll have vegetables for the week.  Recipes to come.

2 comments:

  1. First off I really love reading your blog!! Your stories sound as though they come out of my every day life... :)
    But in response to your beets and not "being in love", I am totally in love. They make the best additions to warm or cold salads and can be so good roasted on your bbq.
    Thanks for sharing a little bit of brooklyn with me! The best of luck in your blog, you bet i'll be back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement! As to the beets, it never occurred to me to BBQ them, I'll have to try that, thanks!

      Delete

I love to hear what my readers are thinking, please leave your comments here!